Replies: 10401
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:19:55 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

OK, Smith & Wesson Model 66...

Started by Angry White Male, December 21, 2017, 10:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry White Male

...will be my new rooty tooty point and shootie, it has been decided.

Dirty Harry .44 Mag hand-cannon may be "cool," but realistically this .38/.357 is what a guy needs in a revolver, in my opinion, for real world target/range use.  K frame is mid-sized, and probably the best all-around size for .357 Mag wheel-gun...  wouldn't want to shoot many .357 Mag rounds out of a much smaller gun.

The grips are the only thing I may change out...  Since I'm old school, I may swap out the grips for wooden ones, for the old school look.

Sadly, my local gun store is currently out of stock of this particular model, but they have another batch ordered!  Just depends how quickly Smith & Wesson can ship the order.

Not sure about the two-piece barrel, as some claim it's to reduce cost...  Others claim that it does improve accuracy...  Probably a bit of truth to both.

Angry White Male

Think I may sell my M1 Carbine.  I don't have that much interest in Canadian/US firearms from WWII or Vietnam, but I know somebody who just might!

Gonna give him a call, and see if I can get a few hun for it (they're not worth that much), to subsidize pistola purchase.

Blazor

Short barrel?

I would still go with a 6" barrel at least.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Angry White Male

The 4.25" version!  Any barrel shorter than that is difficult, if almost impossible, for the average Canadian to own.

Angry White Male

I had a Ruger GP100 in the past, .357 with a 6" barrel...  It's kind of 'bulky' with that extra length, but otherwise an awesome gun!  Almost sorry I sold it!

I can see long, heavy barrels being a necessity on .44 Magnums and up, but .38/.357 Mags shouldn't be too painful with a smaller gun like the Model 66.

Blazor

I agree! I honestly would go 6". Trust me! My .44 is 5" and no where near as accurate as my .357 6". Think of it more like a rifle lol. Rifles are pretty accurate and the longer the pistol barrel the better I 've learned.

Well I do hope it shoots good for ya if you do go the shorter lenth route  ac_drinks

Maybe try one out at a range first? Some places offer that.

Angry White Male

It might be tough to find some range time around here with that particular model, so I can go by online reviews.

The Model 19/66 has been around for longer than I thought!  That in itself must count for something!

Blazor

True true.

My .357 had pearl handles put on it by my grandfather. Still have the wooden ones though. I like the look of the wood, but cant bare myself to remove the pearl cause of grandad lol.

Angry White Male

That's the one thing I may change out...  May go for old-school checkered wood, but some pearls look nice also, if chosen correctly!

Blazor

I'll post a pic of mine one day soon. My grandad even made a custom box for it. Found the belt and holster for it too. Has the slots for bullets on the belt. Feels real westerny lol.

Angry White Male

Angry White Male

I look forward to my rooty shooty...

kiebers

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Think I may sell my M1 Carbine.  I don't have that much interest in Canadian/US firearms from WWII or Vietnam, but I know somebody who just might!

Gonna give him a call, and see if I can get a few hun for it (they're not worth that much), to subsidize pistola purchase.

If it is a true WWII issue/surplus may want to do a little research. Worth a little more than a replica.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"
Quote from: "Angry White Male"Think I may sell my M1 Carbine.  I don't have that much interest in Canadian/US firearms from WWII or Vietnam, but I know somebody who just might!

If it is a true WWII issue/surplus may want to do a little research. Worth a little more than a replica.

Do you collect rifles  kiebers?

kiebers

I have a collection that I grew up with that I inherited. Spent a lot of hours on the range when I was young. We did all our own loading. Mainly sporting rifles and shotguns. The M1 is the only military weapon I own and I do not have a high capacity magazine like the newer firearms are using. It's been 40 years or more since I actually purchased a firearm.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone